Sunday, May 10, 2015

Week of weeds: Day 7.

And here I am on the last day of my week of weeds.  I have decided to end my weed series with a gorgeous little wildflower.  This pretty, purple bloom has eluded me for several years; I first noticed this weed back in 2011 and I haven't seen it since, but it's blooming now.  And yes, it is on the slope above the house.
It took me a quite a bit of detective work to positively identify the Elegant Brodiaea (Brodiaea elegans).  Initially I confused this little gem with Blue-eyed Grass, but then I came across its true identity, just when I was about to give up, in an old Audubon guide to California. My mystery weed no more.  A native of California, and a member of the lily family, the brodiaea is a very elegant weed, indeed.

3 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Love lilies no-matter how small!
Nicely done week of weeds!

Thud said...

A good one to end on.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Thanks.

Thud: You're just glad it's over, aren't you?