Friday, June 27, 2014

Foregiveness is the vine.

There is not a lot going on in the vineyard right now, just the usual bits and bobs; wayward shoots to stuff, young vines to train and adventitious growth to nip in the bud. 
I still have some replanting to do, however.  A week ago, I drove over to Novavine, a grapevine nursery in Sonoma, to pick up some green-growing Cabernet Sauvignon (clone 337) bench grafts, but I've been a bit too busy to do anything with them.  And now it is forecast to be 100°F, or higher, for the next few days - not exactly ideal planting temperatures.  But in they must go.
Overall, I am happy with the growing season thus far.  Fruit set in all four of Vinoland's grape varieties looks good.  I'm a little surprised at how advanced the Cabernet Sauvignon grapes are, despite my almost calamitous timing as to exactly when to begin pruning this year.  Apparently the vines have forgiven me.

6 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: The 337 clone appears to be fairly popular; any special reason you chose that one?

Thud said...

everything had better be spick and span for inspection in 2 weeks time, you had better train them young uns pronto...mine are well trained...well nearly.

Do Bianchi said...

natura ignoscit

a new aphorism?

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Yes, it's quite popular here in Napa and, of course, in it's Bordeaux home. Primary consideration was that because it is a French clone it might fully ripen in chilly Coombsville.

Thud: If you haven't trained them, Auntie Vinogirl will give them a crash course in viticulture.

2B: Latin is great: you can see the origin of pardon in "ignoscit" - so please ignore my silly puns.

About Last Weekend said...

Looks really healthy and green to my untrained eye. Someone gave me a vine for indoors but kevin did not water while I was away, they make the grooviest indoor plants because they just grow all over the show

Vinogirl said...

ALW: My grandfather used to grow anything he could from seeds or cuttings, anything. One year he grew a grapevine from seed and I remember it climbing around the inside of the spare bedroom window. And yes, it was quite fetching :)