Saturday, September 15, 2012

Condrieu.

I lied.  I drank something other than a Californian wine last night. Couldn't help myself.  With all this talk of my Wines of the World class I just felt I had to go Français with dinner.  
My favourite winemaker, that'd be Vinomaker, is a huge Viognier fan and had recently procured a single bottle of (long story) a Mathilde et Yves Gangloff, 2010 Condrieu. Vinomaker has been dying to try this wine for a while, but our schedules have been hectic. Finally, last night the stars aligned and the time was ripe for our Condrieu event.  Wow! What a great wine. Luscious, ultimately very drinkable, apricots and creamy-custard loveliness, all in all very typically Viognier.
I can't imagine any of the students in my class turning their noses up at this little fruitily-aromatic marvel, or describing it as too thin or too acidic.  I would think they'd at least recognise the new and slightly excessive cooperage on the bouquet which, in my estimation, is this splendid wine's only (minor) flaw.

2 comments:

Thud said...

Brave of you venturing offshore.

Vinogirl said...

Thud: Not at all. I seem to remember imbibing in something Italian whilst you were here.