Sunday, August 07, 2011

The Hermit Crab.

I had high expectations for this wine, but d'Arenburg's 2009 The Hermit Crab failed to impress. In fact, this wine left me feeling decidedly crabby...forgive the pun.
I have enjoyed d'Arenberg wines in the past (mostly reds), with their The Dead Arm once being my go-to Shiraz. Unfortunately, although The Hermit Crab delivered pretty stone fruit on the nose, on the palate it was flabby and waxy. So, to rescue our evening meal, Vinomaker opened a 2009 Saddleback Cellars Viognier. It did the trick...smiles all round.

5 comments:

Cesar Valverde said...

Good rescue job. Gotta say I find a lot of Viognier like that. Gimme some acid!

Vinogirl said...

Cesar, I have read it's a hard grape to grow, and even harder to predict the correct harvest date.

Do Bianchi said...

maybe I do need to start doing negative reviews on my blog... food for thought...

Vinogirl said...

2B: Negative reviews don't have to be nasty reviews.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Vinogirl, I've only had one of d'Arenburg's wines, but it was a disappointing one for me.