Tuesday, May 04, 2010

In the vineyard piped the bluebird.

There is not too much going on in the vineyard at the moment, so I have a bit of a respite before I have to start shoot thinning.
This western bluebird (Sialia mexicana) and his missus have moved into one of several ornamental bird houses that I have dotted around the vineyard. It has been a lot of fun watching them, first gathering nesting materials and now collecting insects to feed to their hungry brood. I just hope that while out on their foraging expeditions they round up some of those nasty European Grapevine Moths and feed them to their maturing young.

8 comments:

Thomas said...

If you want them to eat grapevine moths, you have to install a fireplace and a modern kitchen in that house--and lower the rent, too.

I'm trying to figure out which bluebirds eat leaf hoppers!

Thud said...

By coincidence I am preparing a birdie related post...but not a blue nose one...up the reds.

monkey said...

wow the look beautiful, im not sure i would ever want to leave such a vinyard. too much to keep me occupied. watch out for some more pics of the blue tits.

Craig Justice said...

Shoot thinning! That's ALL we've been doing the last 6 weeks it seems! Putting out the distress signal for SUPER VINOGIRL: can you save us? We have some serious issues. Pictures and explanation here: http://winemakersjournal.blogspot.com/2010/05/troubling-signs-in-vineyard-time-to.html Thanks! (P.S. -- at least we sprayed the vineyard today, so the vines are no longer naked against mildew.) Cheers!

Affer said...

How topical....a Vote Tory-coloured bird. Let's hope it's an omen!!

Vinogirl said...

Thomas: Lower the rent? Can't get much cheaper than free!

Thud: The robins here are imposters!

Monkey: I will be watching for your tits...ooh er missus!

Craig: I'm on my way!

Affer: Perhaps it's just an Everton supporter!

phlegmfatale said...

What a stunning little bird!!! I wish we had those around here.

Vinogirl said...

Phlemmy, they are so blue it's incredible.