Saturday, August 18, 2018

Main Street Reunion 2018.

I may have mentioned this before, so forgive me, but the annual Main Street Reunion (MSR) classic car show, held downtown in the city of Napa, is one of my very favourite yearly events to attend.  Or, should I say, it was.  The MSR is now a shadow of its former self.  The event was greatly diminished last year: this year I felt like I was watching the event in its death throes.
This year, I'd guesstimate that there were only about 50% of the number of cars that used to exhibit.  The cars in attendance were all spectacular, but I missed some of the cars that had over the years become familiar entrants.  There was no draft beer for sale (Vinomaker will not drink out of cans) and there was no food items (well, kettle corn if you can call that food) available to purchase.
Whomever is responsible for the banishment of events in the city of Napa, e.g., the Chef's Market, Food Truck Fridays, is doing a great job.  There is barely anything left that is recognisable in downtown Napa, to a local that is.  Napa has become a huge tourist mecca.  Understandably, how can local politicians look the transient-occupancy-tax-gift horse in the mouth?  I could go on...
Signed,
Disgusted in Napa.
A feeble and, possibly, final:
Vroom, vroom!

8 comments:

Thud said...

1. well thanks whoever, just another reason to not come back!
2. Beer only out of glass, any glass will do...ever!

Vinogirl said...

Thud: Yup, the fun-police in Napa strike again. The crowd was about 50% the normal size too.
Locals are noticing a shift...and not just in the gears of the cars departing this once brilliant event.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

I agree! Beer in a glass every time; I have one beer and one coke a year, and both in a glass.
VG: I love the sense you have of place and tradition, both are surrendering to forces of foolish social flux.

Do Bianchi said...

Who's taking all the fun out of Napa and why? Sorry to hear that, Vinogirl! See you soon (I'll PM you).

Thud said...

Dennis...in the same glass...stick to wine...ha!

Vinogirl said...

2B: Small-minded, scummy, money-grabbing, self-serving, bottom-feeding, pinhead politicians who care nothing for the locals who pay their wages. I don't like them; local government officials produce nothing and serve the Napa citizenry even less.

Thud said...

VG, what do you really mean?

Vinogirl said...

Thud: Draw your own conclusions ;)