Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The winner by a nose.

Continuing with the continuing education theme, when the TWWIAGE production team are not actively making wine, the winemaker (or the oenologist) organises 'blind' tastings for the entire staff.  There is always a theme; usually a comparison of a particular vintage, AVA or price point. Or sometimes a vertical tasting of his own wines.  It is a serious, but fun exercise.
In a recent comparative-tasting, TWWIAGE's flagship Cabernet Sauvignon was pitted against five other 2013 Cabs from throughout the Napa Valley, all of them more expensive than TWWIAGE's offering.
Unfortunately, one wine was corked so it was, for all the tasters, relegated to last place.  Hate when that happens.
To cut a long tasting-story short, the winner, by one point only, was Far Niente's Cabernet Sauvignon.  The very close second went to the TWWIAGE wine (incidentally, my second place wine also).  My favourite wine in the tasting was the offering from Chateau Montelena - quite a light and elegant wine, but, I thought, a wine that would be very food friendly: (it came in third overall.)
And that was that, I feel much more clever now.

5 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: I've been waiting to taste the 2013, it's in the wine rack now, but you did say my review of the 2012 "sounds lovely", and with Chateau Montelena's typically restrained alcohol, I'm not surprised you liked it.
Considering price as you rightly did, Far Niente Cabs typically cost more than $100, while I've been finding CM's in at $40.
Cheers!

Thud said...

Yaaay...far niente.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: The 2013s are too young to be drinking now, but wineries usually release vintages as soon as the previous one has sold out.
That seems awfully cheap for a Chateau Montelena Estate CS, so I am assuming you are talking about their Napa Valley CS.

Thud: Yes, I think you would like it...it was my no. 3.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: My bad!
The Estate ranges from $70 to $111 in NH.
Which Far Niente Cab was it?

Vinogirl said...

NHW: The Estate...$150.