Friday, August 12, 2016

Family net work.

One of my least favourite vineyard operations - installing the bird netting on the white grape varieties - was made more bearable today due to the fact that Vinomaker and I were assisted by Thud, two Vinonieces and one Vinonephew.  It actually was a lot of fun; the little ones caught on quickly and were just the right height to apply the clothes pegs below the vines to secure the nets.
I had a quick taste of some secondary clusters, that I removed as I worked my way down the rows, and I have to say my little grape-babies have quite a bit of flavour already.  And the crop looks beautiful.  I can sleep soundly tonight knowing that my grapes are safe from hungry birds.  Thanks kids!

6 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: "Many hands make for a light load."
Love the photo: One's eye sweeps to the right and is forced back by the dominance of the purple grapes; there a story here beyond just the grapes (not that that is unimportant;-)

Thomas said...

Which white grape varieties are they? They appear colorful.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: It did go a little quicker than normal. Still have the Orange Muscat to net - wonder if I can get the kids back.
Glad you like the photo.

Tomasso: They would be Pinot grigio 'grey' grapes in the photo.

Thud said...

Training them up for harvest at some point in time.

Thomas said...

"Tomasso: They would be Pinot grigio 'grey' grapes in the photo."

I thought so, but could also have been Gewurztraminer.

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: Similiar, but PG cluster is more the classic 'pine cone' shape.