Thursday, June 30, 2016

Brexit.

The sole topic of any meaningful conversation that I have had with Americans over the past week has been about Brexit.  Like I'm some sort of expert because I'm English.
Exactly a week ago, when all polls showed no reason to suspect that the citizens of the United Kingdom would vote to the contrary, the European Union (EU) was comprised of 28 member nations.  Perhaps voting with their hearts, instead of their heads, my countrymen decided a divorce from Europe was in order. What happened?  I don't know. Nor, seemingly, does anybody else.
The confusion surrounding the debate, about a Brexit vote to seperate from the EU which dominated the news when I was home in April, apparently continued right up until the June 23rd referendum. One thing that is now known, (besides the fact that all politicians are perniciously untruthful), is that Brexit will wreak economic-havoc on my fellow Britons for a long time to come.
On record as wanting to remain in the EU, the UK's wine trade group, the Wine & Spirit Trade Association, issued a statement calling for calm among its members.  Just when English wine production, especially that of sparkling wines, was on the increase a sudden rise in prices (due to the devaluing of the British pound) is the last thing the burgeoning industry needed.  I mean, who, in their right mind, would voluntarily pay more for their favourite bottle of Château Trotanoy, Tenuta San Guido Sassicaia, Domaine Vacheron or Billecart-Salmon? Or even a delicously aromatic, home-grown Nyetimber Rosé.  Not me.
What a mess!

7 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

That these truths are self evident:
Politician

Thomas said...

Yes, it is a mess. But it is not just a British mess. I fear the EU is heading for more trouble with members.

So much comes into play with Brexit that it is not feasible to have a conversation about it here. But this kind of nationalistic populism that crummy politiicians put forward through lies and innuendo is happening across the globe. It.s the 1930s redux, and we know where that led.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: The Colonel doesn't have much to say nowadays.

Tomasso: Ha! A mess indeed! Of all the other EU-exit names possible, if more troubling times are ahead, I rather like; Fraurevoir, Quitaly and Madriddance. Gotta laugh.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: His death will speak volumes for years to come!

Thomas said...

VG: Dutchretreat and Athe-exit.

Thud said...

finland...fixit! I was unhappy but I'm ok with it now and I believe that Great Britain still has what it takes to succeed in the wider world so off we go.Plus agreeing with Obama on remain was feckin killing me.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: That whole region is unstable...perhaps some of them should consider an exit of their own - towards sanity!

Tomasso: Gotta laugh some more.

Thud: And they keep coming...
GB will be just fine, it is 'great' after all :)