Friday, October 19, 2012

Fermentation Frenzy: Part 1.

There are a lot of fermentations ongoing right now in Vinoland, including a 30 gallon batch of Chardonnay that was gifted to Vinomaker by a commercial winemaker friend.
It's not a secret in these parts that Vinomaker just loves Chardonnay.  I don't understand his fascination with this particular grape variety, but then wouldn't the world be an extremely boring place if we all had the same taste in wine? Vinomaker's yeast of choice to ferment the Chardonnay, is a Saccharomyces cerevisiae hybrid yeast from a unique breeding programme of the Institute for Wine Biotechnology at the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa - Cross Evolution. Known to increase the mouthfeel component of white and rosé wines, Cross Evolution also enhances varietal characteristics and in Chardonnay tends to accentuate fresh fruit and floral aromas. Sounds good so far.  I have seen this yeast in action at TWWIAGE and it really gives quite a dramatic performance, working itself up into a veritable, bubbling frenzy.  But just look at the bubbles in the photograph, they are very small and uniform - most different from the other yeasts that Vinomaker has awakened from their freeze-dried slumber - appearing rather docile and really do not resemble the frothing, fermentation-fiend it is about to become.

10 comments:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Thomas said...

Oh my God! You don't use natural yeast. Call the biodynamic police...

Vinogirl said...

Steve: Thank you.

Tomasso: I'm sure the yeast-fascists are heading to Vinoland as I type...

New Hampshire Wineman said...

V-Girl, I wouldn't think that yeast-fascists existed, but since there seems always to be some disgruntled Grendel to have a temper-tantrum, I suppose it should be NO surprise; just water off a ducks-back!
Someday I hope to taste your wine, and I will enjoy every drop; promise!

Thud said...

looks like aero or maltesers

Thomas said...

NHwineman,

You need to get out more. Read up on biodynamics and what some of the people behind it say about the rest of the wine world.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Thomas, why? I drink wine, I don't make it, and really could care-less what the world says about biodynamics; sorry! I never buy a wine because of biodynamics, and have found them to be, on the whole, inferior.
Vinsanity is the exception to the rule of caring what the world may say, because she's "real" and not a phony. She presents a view that is diversified, pictorial, informative, and well written. So, the window of this blog is one of the 5 or 6 that stands-out for me, and that's quite enough.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Thomas said...

NHwineman,

Don't take me so serious. I was trying--and failed, I suppose--to address your comment cutely, "I wouldn't think that yeast-fascists existed..."

They do, and some of them are high-powered wine industry names.

On biodynamics wine, I won;t go as far as you, but will say I have yet to taste any that shattered the earth for me, and have tasted some that should have stayed in the earth.



New Hampshire Wineman said...

Thomas, thanks: Why am I "so serious?"
D'oh!
Well, as for those who try and mix wine-making and care for the earth, I have no problem (it's a good thing in its purpose)when it works, but unlike Shafer winery, most merchandise the "earth-friendly" as a way to sell less than stellar wines.
My opinion, and don't we all have them.
If someone wants to buy only biodynamic wines, that's their business.

Vinogirl said...

NHW and Tomasso: I don't care if yeast-fascists exist or not - although I do suspect they are out there in ever-increasing numbers. What I do care about is how some people in the wine industry act as (self-appointed) arbiters of all things vino-au naturale and then proceed to tell us unenlightened folks just what we ought to be drinking. I wonder if they use Fleischmann's baking yeast at home...

Thud: I was thinking more Crunchie-like myself, but Maltesers, yes.