Sunday, June 17, 2012

Of the fields.

I was very surprised today to see a small stand of large hop clover (Trifolium campestre) still growing in Vinoland.  A native of Europe, this cool-season clover should be just about at an end for 2012. With it's distinctive hop flower-like blooms already beginning to turn brown as they go to seed, the days on which an industrious ladybird can clamber over this clover's cheery-looking flowers are well and truly numbered.  Never mind, this beneficial legume will hopefully be back next year to continue to work it's nitrogen-fixing magic on Vinoland's soil.

8 comments:

Thomas said...

Nitrogen: food of the gods...

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Sandra, I've been waiting since May 8, for you to notice my lady-bugs in this picture at the link below, but they are a bit obscure. But now you've put that bug in my head I just have to make mention of it, and they are on English china as well! ;-)

http://nhwineman.blogspot.com/2012/05/allegrini-2006-la-grolla-red-wine.html#comment-form

New Hampshire Wineman said...

I'm sorry, I should have addressed you as Vinogirl, instead of another blogger (Sandra) I regularly visit.

Lord Roby said...

My latest squeeze, as you know, is Syngenta.What you didn't know is that we have a 'factory'which cultivates Ladybirds.Now your Ladybug may not be a Syngentan GM Hybrid,but one day,who knows?As an aside...You would not believe the size of my Plums!!!

Thud said...

You have a nitrogen fixation!

Vinogirl said...

Thomas: Washed down with a nice glass of wine.

NHW: Very nice ladybirds...what pattern is that china?

LR: In the garden centres here one can buy bags of ladybirds...I doubt that they are Syngenta-birds however.

Thud: I do, I know.

About Last Weekend said...

You've captured that ladybird (almost wrote bug) perfectly.

Vinogirl said...

ALW: Bird vs bug...don't go over to the dark side!!!