Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

I didn't think it fair that I should ignore the Patron Saint of Ireland when I had already feted the Patron Saint of Wales, St. David.  And, it's not as if I'm going to ignore St. George now is it?  I suppose that means I'll also have tip my hat to St. Andrew in November.
Americans love St. Patrick's Day.  I don't get it.  I grew up veritably surrounded by people of Irish descent in Liverpool, and I've got to say, not a whole lot of attention was paid to it as a holiday. Personally, the closest I ever got to celebrating on Paddy's Day (and by close, I literally mean proximity) was when, as a teenager, I accidentally bumped into an  inebriated old dear, complete with shamrock festooned lapel, exiting the Irish Centre on Mount Pleasant in Liverpool city centre.
However you feel about St. Patrick's Day, I hope you have a good one. I'm off to have a glass of Sauvignon blanc. Diddly, diddly, diddly, diddly...

5 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

"He guarded me before I knew him, and before I came to wisdom and could distinguish between good and evil. He protected me and consoled me as a father does for his son (daughter)."

Love thoughts
From St. Patrick

Thomas said...

Vinogirl,

You forgot St. Joseph's Day, March 19.

He was Mary's spouse, although he did not know her, in the Biblical sense.

Vinogirl said...

NHwineman: Didn't know St. Patrick had said anything!

Thomas: I'm sticking with the patron saints of the British Isles.

Thud said...

In the words of another great Irishman...arse feck!

Vinogirl said...

Father Jack Hackett would be proud of you.