Wednesday, October 28, 2009

It's raining Cabs.

Vinomaker has an abundance of Cabernet sauvignon fermentations right now, all bubbling away at once. Alongside our own clone 4 we have clones 2, 7, 24, 169 and 337, all intensely busy with their respective biological, chemical and physical approach to fermentation: it's like some demented, oenological Fibonacci number sequence. I suspect Vinomaker must be following his own, hitherto unnamed, mathematical formula to keep track of everything that is going on. This includes yeast choice, as the selection of different strains of yeasts are a major contributor to the diversity of wine even among the same grape variety, never mind clonal variations.
Resembling one of Macbeth's demonic witches, Vinomaker is down in the winery twice a day working his magic. Performing punch-downs, taking temperatures, and spinning hydrometers in cylinders of adolescent wine; whilst all the time invoking the beneficence of Dionysus (or St. Vincent if I were the winemaker), in the successful transmutation of grapes into wine. There are handwritten notes, Excel spreadsheets, textbooks, website printouts, and industry catalogues strewn all over Vinoland. Where all of this wine is going to be aged, stored, and blended is still a mystery.
What is clear to me however, is that it is making it even more likely that the Vinodogs and I will have to look for an alternate living space...for a short spell.

4 comments:

Lord Roby said...

It may be "Hubble,Bubble,Toil and Trouble" now; but I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.

Vinogirl said...

Of course it will...I have faith in Vinomaker.
Can I pencil you in to share a glass, or three, with me in 2 years time M'Lord?

Lord Roby said...

Consider me pencilled in.I will exhume a bottle of Chasse Spleen 2005 to accompany it.

Vinogirl said...

I am planning a 97-00 vertical tasting of the old Classy while Thud is here...wish you could join us.