Friday, March 27, 2009

An unmitigated good book.

My pruning was interrupted today by the Vinodogs heralding the arrival of the mailman. He handed me an ordinary looking brown package, too large to fit in the roadside mailbox. On closer examination it turned out to be a Royal Mail package from Thud.
The one redeeming factor of having a birthday away from home, and family, is that birthdays are prolonged, as stuff just keeps showing up in the post. Which is fine by me, I love to eke out any celebration.
So, what was inside I hear you asking with bated breath? It was a copy of a wonderful book: Unmitigated England. The author, Peter Ashley, has done a fabulous job of preserving English ephemera. A must have for anyone who loves England...even an ex-pat like Vinogirl.
The pruning was forgotten. I made myself a mug of Earl Grey, opened a snack pack of mini Hobnobs, sat down, and read, and smiled. I smiled a lot.

5 comments:

Vinomaker said...

Hummph, I can see that I will need to speak to the postman about delaying his deliveries until later in the day when the pruning is done. On the other hand, Vinogirl does such a great job with the vines that, if I want good fruit, I will just have to be patient and be sure there is an adequate supply of tea and Hob Nobs or some of those other English treats that I don't recognize. She is worth it and the Vinodogs would agree!

Thud said...

English till I die,English till I die, I know Iam I know I am...English till I die.

Peter Ashley said...

You are very kind, thankyou so much. Any Hob Nobs left?

Marc Winitz said...

Just was in the UK, very fun. This looks like a good read. An English girl in Napa...Hmmm...

--Marc

Vinogirl said...

Marc,
We get everywhere!